Have you heard the latest radio announcements? TV ads and articles about Apprenticeships for under 21s? The Department of Employment, Small Business and Training’s latest campaigns are spruking “Free apprenticeships for under 21s.”1*
The Palaszczuk Government is backing business and giving young Queenslanders access to gain a Nationally Recognised Qualification in industries where there is a high skill demand.
What is this all about?
The Free apprenticeships for under 21s initiative will cover the cost of training for Queensland apprentices or trainees who commenced or are undertaking one of the 139 high priority apprenticeship or traineeship qualifications from 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2023.2
This includes the following qualifications undertaken as Apprenticeships:
- AHC30916 Certificate III in Landscape Construction
- CPC30211 Certificate III in Carpentry
- RII30915 Certificate III in Civil Construction (Pipe Layer)
- RII30815 Certificate III in Civil Construction Plant Operations
- RII30915Certificate III in Civil Construction (Road Construction and Maintenance)
- CPC31411 Certificate III in Construction Waterproofing
- CPC30611 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating
- CPC31311 Certificate III in Wall and Floor Tiling
Please refer to the Departments website for a complete list of eligible qualifications.
What does free mean?3
Free means the Queensland Government will cover the full cost of training undertaken with a training provider, in the listed priority qualifications.* This does not include and related costs like uniforms or resources.
You, the employer, will continue to cover the costs of wages for apprentices and trainees. It’s worth speaking with an Apprenticeship Network provider to understand what range of incentives might be available to help cover the cost of Apprentice and Trainee wages.*
Incentives are also available for eligible employers under the Queensland Government’s Back to Work program.
For more information, visit the Queensland Government Department of Employment, Small Business and Training website, or call 13 27 86.
To be eligible for Free apprenticeships for under 21s program:
- The Apprentices must be under the age of 21
- The Apprentice must be employed as an apprentice or trainee under a Training contract on or after 1 July 2019
- The Apprentice must be enrolled in one of the priority qualifications.
This $32 million investment by the Queensland Government comes at a time were Apprenticeship numbers are on the decline and forms part of the Skills for Queensland strategy.4 Of which, is looking to deliver the next generation of skilled workers and back local businesses to grow and create more jobs. Clearly, a strategy that aims to improve the uptake in Apprenticeships.
If there was ever a time to act, it’s now. Take on an extra set of hands, or lots more customers with the support from the government to make your commitment more affordable.
*Eligibility criteria applies.