The program provides the flexibility for apprentices, trainees and their employers to select a preferred Registered Training Organisation (RTO) from a list of pre-qualified suppliers for the delivery of nationally recognised, accredited training to meet their specific needs. The program works in conjunction with the Commonwealth Australian Apprenticeships System, under which apprentices and trainees (also known in some jurisdictions as “Australian Apprentices”) enter into legally binding training contracts with their employers and receive structured training to achieve a nationally recognised qualification.
How does the User Choice Program work?
You can now complete the following courses with Foundation Training Australia at a nominal cost under the User Choice Program:
Certificate III in Carpentry
Certificate III in Conservation Earthworks
Certificate III in Construction Waterproofing
Diversify your revenue stream with a dual trade in wall and floor tiling for residential and commercial construction work.
Certificate III in Landscape Construction
Certificate III in Painting & Decorating
Certificate III in Wall & Floor Tiling
Be admired for your workmanship in this respected trade by learning to lay modern ceramic, clay, slate, marble, glass and other types of tiles on external and internal walls and floors, in a flourishing building industry.
To be eligible to receive a Government Contribution, the Apprentice or Trainee must have entered into a Training Contract for a qualification that is funded by the Department, be registered on DELTA with a commencement date or recommencement date on or after 1 July 2010, and select a training provider who holds Pre-qualified Supplier status for their nominated qualification.
The Government Contribution for a User Choice funding contribution will be detailed in the Apprentice or Trainee’s Letter of Registration from the Department, and is subject to student eligibility and their selection of an eligible Pre-qualified Supplier as their SRTO.
User Choice funding is available to new workers who are employed as Apprentices orTrainees.
Employees who are classified as “Existing Workers” are not eligible.
Existing Workers are defined as:
- Worked 3 months full-time for the employer identified in the training contract; OR
- Worked 12 months part-time or casual for the employer identified in the Training Contract and as defined in the Department’s Existing Workers in Apprenticeships and Traineeships Policy.
*Employees who are classed as “Existing Workers” may still be eligible for funding providing they are undertaking a Priority Qualification. Please contact us for more information.
Student Contribution Fees
Students who meet the following criteria will be charged only 40% of the student contribution fee:
- The Participant was or will be under 17 at the end of February in the year in which the PQS provides training, and the Participant is not at school and has not completed year 12;
- The Participant holds a health care card or pensioner card issued under Commonwealth law, or is the partner or a dependant of a person who holds a health care card or pensioner concession card, and is named on the card;
- The Participant issues the PQS with an official form under Commonwealth law confirming that the Participant, his or her partner or the person of whom the Participant is a dependant, is entitled to concessions under a health care card or pensioner concession card; or
- The Participant is an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person.
How Do I Get Started Under the User Choice Program?
Are you ready to start an apprenticeship or traineeship? You must first be employed on either a full-time or part-time basis in a workplace relevant to the industry qualification. FTA can assist you in finding a placement with an employer to start your training and gain your trade qualification. Click here to find out more.
For employers looking to upskill your workforce, contact FTA to discuss your specific requirements and desired outcomes. We can also put you in touch with prospective apprentices or trainees currently looking for placement. Click here to find out more.