Trade skills in demand
Recruitment company, Hays, has released their Hotspots of skills in demand: Jan – June 2019 report and there’s smiles all round in the building and construction industry.
As mentioned in our last blog, Infrastructure development has boosted the job market across the Nation and South-East QLD is no exception. Increased workload on Tier 1 sites has created job vacancies in Tier 2 and 3 contractors.
According to Hays, the following skills are on the Hot list for the beginning of 2019.
- Carpenters and Formwork carpenters are in short supply and high demand for commercial and civil projects
- Concreters across large commercial, residential and infrastructure projects. Candidates who can screed or helicopter are particularly favoured.
- Advanced Riggers and Dogmen
- Childcare facilities are putting high demand on Landscapers
- A lack of apprentices in Brick and Blocklaying is increasing demand for this skill set
- Civil operators, particularly in QLD and WA where civil projects and pipeline resource infrastructure is booming.
- Experienced, multi-ticketed operators are also in short supply.
- Experienced Excavator operators with deep sewer experience
- Development of Transport and Main Roads has placed demand on Grader operators with GPS experience.
- Bobcat (skid steer) operators with final trip experience for car parks and subdivisions
- Loader operators are in high demand across the sector
- Increasingly shopfitters and cabinet makers are in high demand as projects reach fit-out stage or refurbishment projects begin
- Tradespeople with a background in the defence industry are also in high demand.
Take advantage of demand, now.
There is no better time to upskill, re-skill or enter into the building and construction industry. While demand is HOT and a promising 2019 is expected.
If you want to stand out from the competition you need to make sure:
- Your skills are current. That includes tickets, quals and licences.
- Your Resume is up-to-date
- Follow through when interviewing. This means after your initial meeting make sure to call if you have not heard back. Initiative is everything in a competitive market.
If you haven’t got the latest skills or plant tickets, take a peek through our website or give us a call and we’ll get your skills sorted.
Upskill, reskill or get your VOCs