Choose your trade
What do you love doing? What interests you?
Those two questions are the best place to start! An apprenticeship is the beginning of your career in your chosen Trade – like anything it’s important that you enjoy what you do.
The following website is also a great place to start when looking at what Trade will suit you best.
- Find an employer
There are many ways you can start the job hunt for an apprenticeship! First things first, get your resume looking sharp and practice some interview questions.
- Why do you want to get into [insert your chosen trade]?
- When have you had to go above and beyond to achieve a desired goal?
- How do you work in a team?
- And, of course, what excited you about doing a Trade?
Now it’s time to start applying, here are just a few places you can look for Apprenticeships:
- Seek, Indeed or any job searching platform
- Head over to jobactive.gov.au or www.apprenticeshipcentral.com.au – these sites specifically advertise for Apprenticeships
- Connect with an Apprenticeship Centre (AASN) (MRAEL, Australian Apprenticeship Support Network, Busy @ Work, MEGT)
- There are recruiters that work specifically with construction employers to place Apprenticeships. Check-out apprenticerecruit.com.au he’s awesome!
- Do it old-school and pick up the phone! Contact local businesses in your chosen industry.
- Who do you already know in the industry that you could talk to? You never know it they might know a friend of a friend who’s looking for someone like you!
- Remember, if you don’t ask you won’t know so, put yourself out there!
- Choose your training partner
Ah, Hello, that’d be us!
As much as we’d love for you to choose us, it’s not about that. Both yourself and your new employer get to choose who you want to work with. And that’ll come back to who can deliver the training in a way that works for both of you.
It’s important to know that you have a CHOICE when it comes to your Training provider. We hear of so many Apprentices and Employers working with training providers who they don’t mesh with and didn’t realise that they can choose and change at any time.
Another thing to look at is how you want to be trained. Again, you have CHOICE. For example, we train onsite which means there’s no downtime, no classrooms, no block training. It’s all about getting your practical skills up to scratch in the real world.
- The AASN and Training provider will prep the paperwork
You and your employer will need to complete the training papers to get the Apprenticeship finalised. Your Australian apprenticeship support network (AASN) and Training company should walk you through this process so it is simple.
- Training Plan
Choose your subjects! The training plan maps out what you’ll be studying when so everyone is clear on what is expected throughout the apprenticeship.
- Get Started!
YEW! Get excited, the next 3-4 years are going to be some of the best you’ve experienced.